Now that the weather is finally warming up, a picnic in the park is a great way to spend a sunny afternoon. Here are some parks near Denver that are sure to be worth your while.
- City Park is the oldest and largest public park in Denver. There are more than 330 acres to enjoy with stunning views of Downtown Denver and the Rocky Mountain Front Range. There are also two lakes, a large wooden castle playground for the kids, a basketball court, softball field, handball and tennis courts, horseshoe pits and an interactive water fountain operationall during the summer season.
- Sloan’s Lake is the second largest park in Denver with 177 acres of a large preserve of water surrounded by grass, a bike/pedestrian trail, a playground, a boat ramp with rentals, sports field and wildlife. Enjoy a day of water sports at the lake followed by a shaded picnic at one of three of the picnic sites located in the park.
- Wonderland Lake Park in North Boulder is tucked into the base of the Foothills. This peaceful park is the perfect place to fly a kite, play on the playground, watch paragliders sail above or lay out a blanket and enjoy a quiet dinner.
- Confluence Park in Denver is located in the heart of downtown but can easily go unnoticed as its tucked away a bit. This is the perfect spot to watch the river run and let your kids or dogs play while soaking up the beautiful scenery.
- Waneka Lake Park in Lafayette features a lake with gorgeous views. There is also a playground for the little ones and abundant shade trees. Enjoy a picnic while the kids play and then work off your meal with a walk around the lake. Paddle boats are available to rent during the summer months as well.
- Laverne M Johnson Park in Lyons is a bit of a drive from Denver, but well worth if for a day trip if you have the time. Endless amounts of fun with the St. Vrain Creek flowing through. Watch the kayakers and tubers pass through here or throw in a pole and go fishing. RV and tent camping is also an option with reservations. Enjoy the fire pit and huge open field for throwing a football or frisbee or playing yard games. On the North side of the park you’ll find a splash pad and playground with zipline.