With Memorial Day fast approaching, we have gathered a list of fun activities happening in the Denver area to keep you busy this holiday weekend. And with temps possibly reaching the 90’s this weekend, you should be pleased to hear that most pools should be open by Saturday!
It’s easy to celebrate another day off of the work week, but of course Memorial Day is about more than just BBQ’s and pool time. Memorial Day is a day to honor and remember those who paid the ultimate sacrifice by dying while serving in our country’s armed forces. In 2000, congress established an exact minute of remembrance for Memorial Day. The National Moment of Remembrance Act encourages every citizen to pause each Memorial Day at 3:00 pm local time, to remember the brave men and women who died serving this country. In addition to any federal observances, Major League Baseball games usually come to a stop during the Moment of Remembrance, and for the past several years, Amtrak engineers have taken up the practice of sounding their horns in unison at precisely 3:00 p.m.
Let’s take a look at some fun events happening this weekend…
- The Boulder Creek Festival– hundreds of booths to peruse, music, dance, jump castles and more to explore alongside the Boulder creek. Sat, May 26th- Mon, May 28th
- The Bolder Boulder– Over 50,000 participants gather each Memorial Day for this super fun 10k throughout Boulder’s neighborhoods. The race ends at Folsom Field, the University of Colorado’s football stadium. 2018 marks the 40th year of this incredible Memorial Day experience! Not a runner? No problem! There are over 100,000 spectators that gather throughout the course to offer words of encouragement along the way or to watch the amazing after race show that takes place at Folsom Field. Be sure to stay for the skydivers, flyovers, pro race, and a heartwarming Memorial Day tribute (the largest in the US!) Sat, May 28th, the race starts at 6:50 am.
- Elitch Garden’s Memorial Day fireworks- Sun, May 27th at 10 pm. Purchase a discounted park entry pass after 5 pm and stay for the show! Or stake out a spot in a nearby parking lot just after dark and enjoy the show for free.
- Veteran’s Memorial Day Tribute- POF Hall, 1340 Sherman, Denver, CO 80203 The Memorial Day tribute to Colorado’s fallen heroes will be held at POF Hall south of the state capitol. The event will feature a Reading of Names, the laying of Remembrance Wreaths, inspirational music, and the U.S. Navy Bell Toll for heroes. The annual family-friendly tribute will be free and open to the public.
- Denver Arts Festival- held at Stapleton’s Conservatory Green on Sat, May 26th- Sun, May 27th @ 10 am. The fine arts and crafts festival will be a family-friendly event that is expected to be attended by over 50,000 people. There will be entertainment for people of all ages, including music, the Kids Art Zone, the wine and beer garden, and more. Admission and parking will be free.
- Commerce City Memorial Day Veteran’s Parade- held @ East 64th Ave. and Newport St. to 6060 E. Parkway Dr., Commerce City, CO 80033, on Mon, May 28th @ 9:15 am. The 54th Annual Memorial Day Parade will step off at 10 a.m. and will march along a 1.5-mile route and conclude at 6060 E. Parkway Dr. Prior to the parade there will be a ceremony at Veterans Memorial Park to recognize the Grand Marshals. The entire family will have fun at this patriotic community event.