Could that junk drawer in the kitchen be put to better use? In this episode of Houzz TV, watch as kitchen organizer Wiebke Liu, founder of Blisshaus in Oakland, California, turns a cluttered junk drawer into an organized spice collection. In four steps, you’ll go from mess to masterpiece, and your family might find a few lost belongings along the way.
1. Remove everything. To start the transformation, put everything into a separate box. Don’t worry about sorting this stuff yet, Liu says. “We will get to it later.”
2. Clean the empty drawer. You want to start off with a sanitized space for your spices.
3. Fill it with spices. When you add your spices, you can do this different ways.
- Original jars: Use the jars that the spices come in. You can sort them by shape and color, and lay them flat inside.
- Identical jars: Take spice organization to the next level by committing to one type of jar, Liu says. Shop around to find containers that best fill your space.
Labels on top of the containers allow you to quickly identify the spices while creating a clean, consistent look. You can sort them alphabetically or by frequency of use. Liu likes to keep her favorites up front, with those she uses less often tucked in the back.4. What about all that junk you cleaned out? Liu likes to leave the box on the counter with a warning that it will self-destruct in three days. This gives everyone in the house a chance to retrieve anything they want to keep before the rest gets recycled or tossed. “You’ll be surprised how fast it clears out,” she says.